Introduction to Kinematics

Mechanics is the study of the motion of objects. This is a great place to start your studies in physics since it’s such a BIG idea. We’ll be learning the language, laws, concepts, and principles that explain the motion of objects. We’re going to learn about kinematics, which is the words scientists use to explain the motion of objects. By learning about scalars, vectors, speed, velocity, acceleration, distance, and more, you’ll be able to not only accurately describe the motion of objects, but be able to predict their behavior. This is very important, whether you’re planning to land a spaceship on a moon, catapult a marshmallow in your mouth from across the room, or win a round of billiards.

Comments

19 Responses to “Introduction to Kinematics”

It’s probably going to be a couple more months… the new website is built but we’re still having weird issues like not being able to log in.

2. weiland54 says:

I understand that you are currently working on making the Physics more user friendly but I was just wondering if you could give me a time frame for when to expect it. I’m excited but tired of checking every day.

3. jennifer_albertson says:

Three questions from the Student Worksheet for 1-D Kinematics
    #7- In the equation t= 5s x 1m/60s x 1hr/60m, t= 0.0022 but when we calculate this we are getting 0.00138 so why is this not rounded to 0.0014?

#13 – We are confused why in the given that acceleration is -9.81m/s² but when it is used to find the final velocity it is no longer a -9.81, but is a +9.81. We have the same question in problem #10 as well, where the a= -32.2 in the given but is +32.2 in the final velocity.

#14 In the third part of this problem when solving for distance the equation is d= Vi + 1/2at² however in the next equation when numbers are plugged in it says d= 34+1/2(2.5)(15.5) where is the square on the 15.5? It seems like it should be
    d= 34+1/2(2.5)(15.5)².

Can you help us understand these problems please?

That’s correct – the lessons walk you through one-by-one. I am finishing up the new navigation structure that will have this look a lot better so it’s more obvious how to work through the website lesson by lesson, and will let you know when it’s ready for you to try out. Also, note that the lessons are also listed in order in the big download for the section you are on. You can take notes in the download as well (that’s why there’s so much space on each page). The labs are interspersed with the lessons so they can really get a sense of the purpose of what they are learning about as they go along.

The homework set is only in written form, with solutions clearly marked out (no video for this section – it’s just like a regular problem set you’d get for hw in a real physics class). If you have questions about a particular problem, do let me know so I can help.

5. aberry24 says:

Hi. I am reviewing this program to try and decide if it is right for my kids this year. So far I’m loving it. I have a 10th grade daughter I’m considering having start with physics. In the high school classes do they start with an experiment? I’ve watched the videos on scalers and vectors and the next one. Do they just click through and watch the videos and take notes?

Also, when I click on the kinematics problem set, it only shows me the problems with the solutions.

Look at the first lesson here right above the video:

You can download the other packets in the right side menu. It says something like “(Chapter Name) Problem Set”, like on this page: https://www.sciencelearningspace.com/2014/09/introduction-to-kinematics/

7. Susan Dodson says:

Where is the 1D Kinomatics download packet mentioned in the video? It is really helpful.

Thanks for the note! I re-published them a couple months ago, and forgot to remove this notice, so you should have everything you need for this section. Enjoy!

Yes in the back of the homework problem set download.

10. Susan Dodson says:

I found this (NOTE: ALL HOMEWORK SETS ARE CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY BEING EDITED FOR MATH ERRORS! This part of the program is still pretty new, and we found a lot of math errors in our homework solutions (which were created by physics college students). We’re currently having them spiffed and polished so they can be the best they can possibly be!) in the HS Physics area. When will the Homework sets be available?

11. Susan Dodson says:

We worked the acceleration problems in the workbook and were wondering if there are complete solutions somewhere?

This section is laid out so after you watch the video and work through the problem with me (in the video), you click the link below the video which takes you to the next one in sequence. After you’re done with the series, you can review the homework problem sets (published next week). If you want to view all the experiments in the series, click on the links in the right side, so for the first section, you’d go here:

13. Leslie Brown says:

I’m having trouble navigating. I feel like I’m missing something, some of the videos. We printed out the packet for the Kinematics section. It has some acceleration problems that have some formulas we haven’t seen in videos. And it seems there was supposed to be videos about gravity and constant acceleration that I couldn’t find.

The program is organized by grade level and also by topic. If you worked through all 20 units, you’d cover all the experiments listed on the site. If you worked through each grade level, including the high school (also called the “Advanced Section”), you’d cover most of the experiments, and there’d be some overlap. It’s the same set of 2,000+ experiments, just organized two different ways. Hope this helps!

15. Alicia Hoppitt says:

Hi Aurora, I’ve noticed that most of the other topics in the advanced section are taken from various units from the program. For example chemistry is unit 15. Is this physics course covered by various other units or does it have extra lessons and experiments not contained in the normal 20 units? In other words, if a child worked through all 20 units, would they end up covering all the lessons here, or are there extra experiments and reading only found here?

Hi Yvonne – The program has a lot of flexibility, so if you start with one section and find it’s not meeting your expectations or goals, then you can switch to an easier section. The AP Physics section is designed for advanced kids ready for putting together concepts from math and scientific experimentation and investigations. If your son isn’t quite there yet, simply use the 8th grade curriculum for physics https://www.sciencelearningspace.com/grade-levels/eighth-grade/ to bridge the gap. With his background from the previous year, he should be fine with either one, depending on how rigorous of an approach he had with last year’s course. Again, if this is “too easy”, then jump up a level to the advanced level.

It’s hard to “pigeon-hole” each kid just by age/grade, when the real world is so much more diverse than that, so we do our best to encourage you to pursue learning based on interest and ability level and find the one that suits him best.

17. Yvonne Myers says:

My son is going to be in 9th grade. I am concerned about this course being a bit too difficult. He is not advanced but is just “normal”. He does have the capability to excel if it is something that really interests him. That is what has drawn me to your curriculum. I guess my question is, is this an AP course that is ok to take in 9th grade? Last year he completed Exploring Creation with Physical Science by Apologia. Do you think that he would be ready for this kind of class?

Thanks for the feedback! We actually have some typos and errors to correct before publishing the rest of them. All the content in the packet is already online in the program, but the packet just makes it more downloadable. We had a lot of people report back that they didn’t really find it useful, so we’ll have to see how it goes. I’ll let you know more by the end of the month. 🙂

19. Esther Despain says:

I love the complete packet for Section 1 of the Advanced Physics. My sons will begin working through it beginning in about a week and can give specific feedback after they start. Do you plan on doing packets for the other sections; if so, what is the estimated timeline?